Monday, January 18, 2021

Paternity Leave - a concept as foreign as affordable healthcare

I took six weeks off when Lev was born to learn how to keep him alive (and, as it turns out, how to keep my wife and me alive). Going into the six weeks I had thoughts like "Oh sure it will be rough, but we'll be able to travel around a bit and see things. I mean, he'll sleep like 16 hours a day. That's money in the bank right?" Oh how young and foolish I was. 

In reality we spent the entire six weeks right here in Bern. With a raging pandemic floating around we decided the world is no place for a newborn. We still went for a walk every day to maintain our sanity (I think we maintained it. I guess there's no way to know).
 
Lev goes full starfish to survive the winter walks

Frosted street lamps


We did take one small outing to nearby Thun, and seeing the mountains again felt pretty great.  

Statue of Odysseus in Thun overlooking the Alps

Besides that one trip though I kept myself sane by running as much as I could find time for (slash-as often as I could force myself into the frozen ice of the outside world). I really enjoy where I live. There is a trail 2 minutes from my door and it stretches all along the Aare. That is pretty much the only trail, but I muddle on. 

I'm up to 40 miles/week right now keeping at around a 7 min/mile pace. That's nothing to write home about (or, since I'm writing it here, is it?), but it is a nice comfortable pace. I would really like to PR in the marathon this year, and I think building up a solid base of mileage (kilometers since we're in Europe) will help me get there. 

Covered bridge when you run north along the river


Let's be honest, this little rapscallion took up 99% of our time 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Endless Summer - Except Without Surfing

  This post is in reverse chronological order because that's how the photos loaded and I'm not doing it again.  The start of the end...