Monday, November 2, 2020

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag: A birthday for the ages

I turned 34 last week. My favorite thing to do on my birthday the last few years is to just be in nature, reconnect with who I am, who I want to be. Try to spot what is going right and what is not. 

Covid 19 has defined this year. It governs every decision from how to go to the store to how to travel around. To combat the fatigue of quarantine, every once in a blue moon we try to get a little farther from home. Renting a car helped us extend the leash that has tethered us to our apartment.

Friday we went to a remote region on the Swiss section of the Tour du Mont Blanc (an ultra marathon route going through France, Italy, and Switzerland) so I could get a bit of a taste for it. Let me just say that it was oh so sweet. The trail was pretty stunning but rugged. 

Cambrie came and opted to hang out by Lac de Champex while I went for my excursion of self-discovery.


The actual trail peaks at Fenetre de l'Arpette. I was 800 meters away, but it was a bit too snowy and boulder strewn to find my path without risking breaking my leg so I shifted my plans a bit. There was a steep chute that seemed to give a similar view so I risked the scramble and was satisfied enough with what I saw to come back.





The next day we thought we would take it easy. Let me try that again, we THOUGHT we'd take it easy. We tried driving to Oeschinen lake and found out once we were there that it's a four mile round trip hike with quite a bit of vertical gain. I asked Cambrie what she wanted (you know, 8 months pregnant Cambrie) and she suggested we saunter along the trail and she would stop whenever she got tired. She did the entire thing! Hero points for her. We had great views of the valley below, even though the lake was a bit crowded. 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Endless Summer - Except Without Surfing

  This post is in reverse chronological order because that's how the photos loaded and I'm not doing it again.  The start of the end...