Friday, September 25, 2020

Meiringen to Grindelwald

Last weekend I ran the trail from Meiringen to Grindelwald. It's about 14 miles. It's so hard to get myself moving in the mornings after a long week at work. But every time I do there is a moment when I first realize it's completely worthwhile. This was that moment last Saturday. The woman is just some random backpacker, but I love how this picture captures how I felt about the day. Excited just to see what was around each corner.
I chose this hike for two reasons: 
1) I had never been to Grindelwald, and have heard good things about it
2) One of my ancestors is from Meiringen and I wanted to see it (Melchior Kohler, cool name right?). 


The trail was incredible. I didn't run out of water, and 14 miles seemed like a cakewalk compared to my last trail run here.



The run led up to a ridge dividing the mountains. This is the view I was rewarded with for my long climb. Grindelwald is far below in the mist. There was a woman selling cheese in one of those little huts (I was tempted to stop and get some, but didn't want to carry a wheel of cheese the remaining 6 miles). 

At the end of the run I met Cambrie in Grindelwald. We originally intended to spend a bit of time in the town, but I had just run through it and she spent the morning there on her own hike (btw, I'm super impressed how independent and brave she is. Totally over the culture shock). So we decided to enjoy the beautiful train ride through the Alps back to Bern.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Endless Summer - Except Without Surfing

  This post is in reverse chronological order because that's how the photos loaded and I'm not doing it again.  The start of the end...